23.04.2015 20.09.2015

On both sides of the trenches

The exhibition “On both sides of the trenches” will open on the 23rd of April at the Gatchina Palace to mark the 70th anniversary of the end of the Second World War. The exhibition was jointly organized by museums from St Petersburg, Gatchina and Gatchina district of Leningrad region, by archives, private collectors and the international organization Cultural Foundation of the German Federal States (Germany).

The exhibition focuses on the town of Krasnogvardeysk (now Gatchina) during the Nazi occupation of 1941-1944, though it highlights neither troop actions, nor the battles to liberate the town, but another aspect of the war — routine concerns of those who had to stay behind in the occupied territories, their interactions with Nazi authorities, resistance movements, efforts of partisans and medical staff.

The exhibition depicts Gatchina as part of the German occupied Soviet territory, but also as a major German command centre, an airfield, a communication and foodstuff hub for the German Army.

Displayed in the seven exhibition rooms are items from everyday life, sculptural fragments, personal belongings, pieces of military uniforms, guns, medical instruments, scale models as well as the works of art that were evacuated and then returned to the Gatchina Palace. The icon of Annunciation and 33 photographs from the Romanov’s archive that the museum received as a gift in the summer of 2014 will be displayed to the public for the first time.

Back to the list